Understanding The Online Consumer Behavior [Infographic]
Our “Analysis of Online Consumer Behavior” infographic not only helps you understand the behavioral characteristics of online consumers, but also to obtain answers to several important questions. Some of these questions are:
1. What are online shopper demographics?
2. Why do people prefer to buy shop online?
3. What are the most common reasons why people don’t shop online?
4. What are the various online spending trends in different retail sectors?
Infographic by- Invesp
To Publish this Image on your Blog or Website . Copy this code
Global Online Population Is Estimated To Reach 2.32 Billion By 2014
2011 (In millions) 2014 (In millions) North America 272 292 Europe 476 500 Asia / Asia Pacific / Oceania 922 1033 Latin America /Caribbean 215 255 Middle East and Africa 186 241
By 2015, online sales figures are expected to increase as follows, corresponding to the increase in global population:
• US E-Retail market will reach the grand figure of $279 Billion
• Mobile commerce sales will reach $28.7 Billion
• Social Media commerce sales will touch $30 Billion
• Daily Deal revenue sites sales will touch $3.93 Billion
The Number Of Online Consumers In The USA
Year Online Consumers ( In millions) %age of Total Online Users 2011 178.5 87.5 % 2012 184.3 88.1 % 2013 189.6 88.7 % 2014 195.4 89.4 % 2015 201.1 90.1 %
Online Shoppers Demographics
Online Shoppers by Gender
Of the current global online population, about 79% of women and 77% of men have done online shopping at some time or the other.
Gender Percentage Female 79% Male 77%
Online Shoppers by Age Group
The current statistics are: 80% of online people aged 50 to 64 and 30 to 49; 77% of online people aged 18 to 29; 68% of online people aged over 65 years.
Online Users Age Group Percentage 18-29 77% 30-49 80% 50-64 81% 65+ 68%
Online Shoppers by Income levels
Online Users Income Level Percentage Less than $30K 67% $30-50K 81% $50-75K 84% $75K+ 88%
Reasons Why People Buy Online
Reasons Percentage Low Prices/ Discounts 38% 24 Hour Shopping Convenience 35.1% Easy to compare Prices 33.1% Free Shipping 31.5% Time Saving 30.8% Easy to Buy 29.2% Wider range of products 17.4%
Reasons Why People don’t prefer to Buy Online
Reasons Why People don’t prefer to Buy Online Female (%) Male (%) Want to See and Touch Real Product 38% 33% Shipping Cost 32% 26% Privacy Concerns 30% 33% Hassle in Returning Products 25% 27% Prefer to Buy in Store 23% 25% Want to contact sales people in person 11% 17%
Online Retail Spending Shares
Online Retail Sectors Female (%) Male (%) Apparel/Accessories/Jewelry 71% 29% Hobbies 67% 33% Books/Music/Video 61% 39% Video Games/Consoles 56% 44% Electronics 46% 54% Events/Movie Tickets 44% 56%
Khalid Saleh is CEO and co-founder of Invesp. He is the co-author of Amazon.com bestselling book: "Conversion Optimization: The Art and Science of Converting Visitors into Customers." Khalid is an in-demand speaker who has presented at such industry events as SMX, SES, PubCon, Emetrics, ACCM and DMA, among others.View All Posts By Khalid Saleh
Join 25,000+ Marketing Professionals
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the Invesp blog feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. or,receive weekly updates by email:
The Art and Science of Converting Prospects to Customers
By Khalid Saleh and Ayat Shukairy
- Prospect Theory: How Users Make Decisions
- Usability Testing on a Budget
- The Importance Of Lead Nurturing – Statistics and Trends
- The 7 Step Roadmap For Effective Usability Testing
- Momentum Behavior: Are Visitors in Love with Your Old Site Design?
- SaaS Customer Acquisition – Statistics and Trends
- A/B Testing: 14 Sampling Issues That Can Ruin Your Test
- Using Dynamic Product Recommendations in Order to Increase Sales
- Heuristic Evaluation: Your Complete Guide
- The Beginner-Friendly Guide to Designing Conversion-Oriented Landing Pages