Effectiveness Of Online Advertising– Statistics And Trends
When people talk about advertising, 9 out of 10 they’re probably referring to online advertising. Online advertising has proven to be extremely profitable both for small and large businesses. Reports indicate that around 95% of Google’s revenue comes from online advertising. That’s saying something! The average person is served over 1,700 banner ads per month but only half of them are ever viewed. However, businesses have sharpened their tools and are filtering the Ads that are not being viewed. Responses generated from non-viewable ads were filtered out and only the good stuff was retained. By doing so, businesses have managed to improve brand lift by 31%. To know more, check out the following infographic on “Effectiveness Of Online Advertising– Statistics And Trends”.
Infographic by- Invesp conversion optimization
To Publish this Image on your Blog or Website . Copy this code
- Only 8% of internet users account for 85% of clicks on display Ads.
- Click rates for display Ad campaigns average only 0.1%, which means that only one in a thousand Ads in a campaign is clicked.
- Overall average in-target rate is 44%, with significant variance seen across product categories
Category %age in-Target Computer /Technology 64% Telecom 60% Travel 53% Media/Entertainment 52% Auto 50% Finance 46% Health/Wellness 42% Retail 42%
Percentage In-target by Age and Gender
Male Female Age %age Age %age 18-34 42% 18-34 35% 18-49 45% 18-49 43% 21-34 33% 25-49 37% 25-34 33% 25-54 36% 25-49 32% 35-64 31% 25-54 42%
Overall Average In-view Rate Is 46%
Category Average In-view Rate Travel 49% Health/Wellness 48% Computer/Technology 47% CPG 47% Media/Entertainment 46% Retail 45% Auto 40% Finance 40% Telecom 36%
- On average, 4% of Ad impressions were delivered outside the intended geography.
- 72% of campaigns had at least some impressions that were delivered adjacent to inappropriate content.
- Non-human traffic, including fraud, ranged from 4 to 11%.
How People Respond To Online Ads
Response Type %age By clicking on the Ad 31% By searching for product, company or brand 27% By typing company web address in their browser 21% Researching more information about a product 9%
- Over 70% of marketers fail to target consumers with behavioral data.
- Nearly 60% of digital video advertisers lack tools and timely data to measure digital video campaigns.
- Nearly 75% of respondents listed viewabilty and brand lift as the metrics that would most influence digital video advertising tactics
- More than 80% still currently rely on impressions and clicks to measure digital video Ads
- “Mid-roll” video ads placed in the middle of a video had the highest completion rate of 97%
- “Pre-roll” Ads placed in the beginning and “post-roll”ads placed in the end yielded drastically smaller completion rates (74% and 45% respectively).
20-second Ads had the least completion rate of 60% in our data set, with 15-second and 30-second Ads completing at higher rates of 84% and 90% respectively.
Khalid Saleh is CEO and co-founder of Invesp. He is the co-author of Amazon.com bestselling book: “Conversion Optimization: The Art and Science of Converting Visitors into Customers.”
Khalid is an in-demand speaker who has presented at such industry events as SMX, SES, PubCon, Emetrics, ACCM and DMA, among others.
Join 25,000+ Marketing Professionals
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the Invesp blog feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. or,receive weekly updates by email:
The Art and Science of Converting Prospects to Customers
By Khalid Saleh and Ayat Shukairy
- The Importance of Data Driven Marketing – Statistics and Trends
- 3 Approaches to Harnessing Advanced Digital Insights With Data
- Simplicity Over Abundance of Choice
- Validity Threats to Your AB Test and How to Minimize Them
- 7 Things I Hate About AB Testing
- Trust or Bust – How to Improve Website First Impression
- E-commerce Optimization on Overdrive: Get Inspired
- The Rise of Marketing Automation – Statistics and Trends [Infographic]
- The Ultimate Guide to Understanding SaaS Metrics
- Creating A Conversion Roadmap: How to Prioritize Conversion Problems on Your Website