Reducing Visitor Anxieties Increased Conversion Rate By 108%
The following case study was conducted to increase the conversion rate of a furniture e-commerce website by reducing customer anxiety on product pages. Reducing shoppers’ anxiety is important for successful conversion optimization. This can be done by addressing customer’s fears and questions about product quality, service quality, product description, website security, pricing and so on.
The company under study is one of USA’s largest online furniture retailers operating offline since 1913. The website has an overall conversion rate of less than 1% and an average order value of $2,200. The bottleneck for conversion seems to be the product page as only 1.7% of visitors click the Add To Cart button.
Conversion rate of product pages can be increased by providing easier access to important product information. This can be pricing, description, product options, or making the Add To Cart button very visible. By providing easy access to these elements, conversion rate can be increased and visitor anxiety can be reduced. This process also addresses all the needs of impulsive shoppers who want to be done quickly with their shopping.
Original Observations From The Website
- Both the Call To Action button and product select options were placed below the fold. Placing the CTA below the fold reduces buyer momentum and increases FUDs.
- Product page was not catering to buyers with impulsive persona.
- Unnecessary elements such as the SKU number are taking up prime real estate. These elements do not meet visitor’s needs.
- Other important elements such as the product description were present above the CTA as well.
E-commerce Product Page Variation 1
The Call to action button placed above the fold to increase buyer momentum. All product options made available about the fold to address shoppers with impulsive persona. Unnecessary elements such as the SKU,was placed elsewhere on the page. The product description was moved below the CTA in order to increase CTA visibility.
E-commerce Product Page Variation 2
Increased buyer momentum by placing the Call To Action button above the fold. That was the only change for this particular variation.
Variation 1 won the test. By moving the Call To Action button, adding product select options above the fold and shifting unnecessary elements below the fold, the client gained an overall increase of 108% in website conversion. This points the importance of improving buyer momentum by providing sufficient scent on the page.
- Product page is one of the most important pages of your e-commerce conversion funnel. It provides more flexibility for persuasion.
- Product Page Effectiveness Rate (PPER) is directly related to average order value.
- Higher Product Page Effectiveness Rate (PPER) can be achieved by reducing customer anxieties, and by allowing easier access to CTA and product options.
- Unnecessary elements on the product page wastes user’s time and can impact your overall website conversion rate.
- Placing CTA visibly increases buyer momentum
- Providing quick access to all product options addresses impulsive buyers’ needs
Khalid Saleh is CEO and co-founder of Invesp. He is the co-author of Amazon.com bestselling book: "Conversion Optimization: The Art and Science of Converting Visitors into Customers." Khalid is an in-demand speaker who has presented at such industry events as SMX, SES, PubCon, Emetrics, ACCM and DMA, among others.View All Posts By Khalid Saleh
Join 25,000+ Marketing Professionals
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the Invesp blog feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. or,receive weekly updates by email:
Connect with us
The Art and Science of Converting Prospects to Customers
By Khalid Saleh and Ayat Shukairy
- Revenue Marketing: Strategies you can use to close small and large deals
- Customer Retention: 5 Powerful Strategies That Guarantee Growth
- Abandoned Cart Emails: Using Psychological Principles To Influence Customers’ Decisions
- The Mighty Product Page: Rethinking Product Descriptions
- Designing A Content Engine: How To Create & Distribute To Drive Results
- 8 Ideas on How to Increase Conversions on 404 Error Pages
- Using JTBD Framework to Write Welcome Emails
- The Paradox of Human Behavior in Web Design: Novel vs. Routine Tasks
- 13 tips that helped us improve a landing page conversions by 25%
- The State Of Video Marketing – Statistics and Trends [Infographic]