Who are you talking to exactly: E-mail and video marketing
- Posted in Sales & Marketing
We talk a lot about adhering to your target market through the creation of personas. But in an attempt to target their market segments some companies take a rather peculiar approach.
Early April, Robert Gorell of Grokdotcom posted an interesting article about Spirit airlines. In their attempt to promote their latest campaign, they ran a promotion with an edgy headline: “We’re Having a Threesome!”
Difficult to ignore the context that the word threesome comes in; I was appalled after reading the ad.
But most recently, I got my very own invitation from Spirit as well:
Sure, I can easily assume MILF truly stands for Many Islands Low Fares, but come on people! Who do they think we are? I have to give Spirit’s marketing team credit though, they caught my attention, but not in a good way.
So who is Spirit trying to appeal to? They’ve turned away many with their poor customer service, so are the ads helping them gain an edgier appeal to a certain segment of the market?
Another marketing initiative was presented to me via rap style on YouTube. Poplabs has a number of different “raps” posted on YouTube about conversion optimization etc. I found the videos entertaining as I laughed and laughed after watching it; but then I thought, what is the point of this? I don’t think a VP of marketing from a top 500 online retailer is going to say: “You know what, I think we’ll hire Poplabs for our conversion project, because DAMN they rap well!” Some of our team members liked the video and thought it was a good way to advertise and show creativity. But did Poplabs create the videos to advertise and market their services or just for SEO purposes and linkbacks?
Moral of the story: Make certain that every ad and marketing initiative is closely studied and targets specific market segments for a specific purpose and goal.
Join 25,000+ Marketing Professionals
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the Invesp blog feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. or,receive weekly updates by email:
The Art and Science of Converting Prospects to Customers
By Khalid Saleh and Ayat Shukairy
- 7 Things I Hate About AB Testing
- Trust or Bust – How to Improve Website First Impression
- E-commerce Optimization on Overdrive: Get Inspired
- The Rise of Marketing Automation – Statistics and Trends [Infographic]
- The Ultimate Guide to Understanding SaaS Metrics
- Creating A Conversion Roadmap: How to Prioritize Conversion Problems on Your Website
- Chatbots In Customer Service – Statistics and Trends [Infographic]
- 9 Tips to Conducting Accurate Qualitative Research
- Server-Side Vs. Client-Side A/B Testing
- The Ultimate Guide to Persuasive Online Copywriting