Who are you talking to exactly: E-mail and video marketing
- Posted in Sales & Marketing
We talk a lot about adhering to your target market through the creation of personas. But in an attempt to target their market segments some companies take a rather peculiar approach.
Early April, Robert Gorell of Grokdotcom posted an interesting article about Spirit airlines. In their attempt to promote their latest campaign, they ran a promotion with an edgy headline: “We’re Having a Threesome!”
Difficult to ignore the context that the word threesome comes in; I was appalled after reading the ad.
But most recently, I got my very own invitation from Spirit as well:
Sure, I can easily assume MILF truly stands for Many Islands Low Fares, but come on people! Who do they think we are? I have to give Spirit’s marketing team credit though, they caught my attention, but not in a good way.
So who is Spirit trying to appeal to? They’ve turned away many with their poor customer service, so are the ads helping them gain an edgier appeal to a certain segment of the market?
Another marketing initiative was presented to me via rap style on YouTube. Poplabs has a number of different “raps” posted on YouTube about conversion optimization etc. I found the videos entertaining as I laughed and laughed after watching it; but then I thought, what is the point of this? I don’t think a VP of marketing from a top 500 online retailer is going to say: “You know what, I think we’ll hire Poplabs for our conversion project, because DAMN they rap well!” Some of our team members liked the video and thought it was a good way to advertise and show creativity. But did Poplabs create the videos to advertise and market their services or just for SEO purposes and linkbacks?
Moral of the story: Make certain that every ad and marketing initiative is closely studied and targets specific market segments for a specific purpose and goal.
Join 25,000+ Marketing Professionals
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the Invesp blog feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. or,receive weekly updates by email:
The Art and Science of Converting Prospects to Customers
By Khalid Saleh and Ayat Shukairy
- Value Proposition:What is It, How It Works, And Why You Should Pay Attention to It
- Are Customer Journey Maps More Than A Pretty Diagram? Are They Worth The Investment?
- The Importance of Same Day Delivery – Statistics and Trends
- A Case Against Personas
- The Importance of Influencer Marketing – Statistics and Trends
- How PURE Can Boost Your Website Conversion Rates To A Whole New Level
- How A Cognitive Walkthrough Can Improve Website Usability and Conversions
- Navigational Stress Tests: How to Increase Conversions With Three Simple Questions?
- Six Steps to Creating The Complete Customer Journey Maps
- Personas Strategy : What you Need to Know and How to Copy it